Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Ed's Frustration Continues

I have been waiting for a check drawn on one of our U.S. accounts, which I mailed in for deposit at another one of our U.S. bank accounts, to clear for over a month now, and was convinced that someone had pinched it and found that he or she could do nothing with it. But then I got a "mail arrival" email from Fern, telling me that WAMU had returned the check I had mailed in for deposit because I hadn't signed it! Well that explains it. Now I've sent off another check to myself, and I can calculate how long it takes to clear.

Today we got the word that they want Ed to stay in Kharkiv until we leave for the States on September 27, and when we come back on October 18 we will start in Kyiv. So I'm going to look for an apartment in Kyiv this weekend (Ed's coming with me on condition that he doesn't have to go with me to look at the apartments - but when I've narrowed it down to one or two, he will go look at it or them with me). It will just be nice to have company when I get back from running around, and we can test drive the hotel that we've booked for Jodi and her dad (and us) - if it's awful we can find someplace else. But the location is really great, and they take dogs, so I think it will be fine. In fact, one of the apartments I am going to see (owned by an American who lived here for 7 years and is married to a Ukrainian woman from Kyiv) is right around the corner. I'll either rent the apartment beginning September 6, and we'll stay in the apartment rather than the hotel when Jodi visits, or I'll try and rent it starting October 18. That poses all sorts of logistical problems (like where do I store my stuff), but I guess we'll manage somehow - it would save us quite a bit of money not to have to pay rent for three weeks, but on the other hand it would be much more convenient to get the apartment now, set everything up, and put everything away before we go back home for a few weeks.

I haven't been doing too much lately, but I'm on page 650 of War and Peace. I spent almost the entire day yesterday at Beatrice getting a mani/pedi followed by cut, color, highlights and low lights. I have no idea how it looks because after staring at myself in the mirror for several hours yesterday, I can't bare to look in the mirror today.

Ed is really losing weight - all this walking, plus he really has cut down on his food intake and especially alcohol intake - he just doesn't drink anything at all except water, tea and orange juice here. I have a beer every night, but he prefers the juice!! He looks great - totally flat stomach. Also, he's doing pilates from the book that Jennifer (my U.S. pilates instructor) gave me before I left (it's a terrific book). I, of course, am doing NOTHING and eating much more than before. I do walk, but not nearly as much as I should, given my caloric intake. I just can't make myself do the pilates without someone watching me and telling me what to do - I am a real exercise hater, even though I feel so much better after I do the pilates (I mean physically - my back and neck - not emotionally - I think I'm one of those rare birds that doesn't release any endorphins during exercise - there are such people).

I've been on the computer a lot, arranging appointments to see apartments, arranging to have funds transferred to our new Aval Bank account. (I made a side bet with Ed - I bet him that I would get my $1000 - that's the amount of the test transfer I am making - before he gets repaid the $1000 he advanced the office. I know I'll win this one!)

I also bought tickets for Swan Lake in Kharkiv on September 15. Even if I get an apartment in Kyiv starting September 6, I'll still come back for the day and evening to see Ed and go to the ballet with him. I want to see if it's as good as I remember. And also, I'll be able to compare it with the Kyiv Ballet because we are going to that on Ed's birthday with Jodi and her dad to see Sleeping Beauty at the Kyiv National Opera and Ballet Theater.

So now I have a few trips (two to Kyiv and one to Boston, NY, LA and London) to look forward to, plus the move to Kyiv, with all the organizing and planning and getting to know a new city that that entails. The burning question for us now is whether we hire a minivan and driver to take us and all our stuff to Kyiv, or whether we rent a large station wagon or SUV and drive ourselves. It costs twice as much to have the car and driver than to rent a car and drive ourselves, but I'm concerned about being able to follow the signs, read the speed limits, etc. - especially when we get into the city itself. I'm also worried about what would happen if we got stopped by the police for speeding or something. After what Ed's told me, I'm not sure I want to take any chances with having to negotiate with the cops here!

I've been seeing quite a bit of Vicky - trying to help her sort out what she wants to do with her life. I think she's decided not to take the job in Kyiv - it doesn't sound like it's what she's looking for. I'll be sorry about that, because I really like her and I would like to see her in Kyiv, but this is a really big move for her, and she's invested a good many years here at the Law Academy, and she probably shouldn't go unless it is a real step up and forward. She's also been helping me - showing me good takeout food places, a good shoe repair place, translating "highlights" and "low lights" to Yulia, my hairdresser!! She's going to translate for Ed again tomorrow at some meeting with the head of the local Bar Association. I think he should hire her for an hour or two a couple of days a week - say Monday, Wednesday and Friday - so that he can meet with the lawyers and discuss what they are doing, what has to be done, what meetings have to be arranged, what motions filed, etc. It's just too difficult and frustrating to do all this through Gennadiy - it isn't his job to translate and, truth be told, it would be a lot easier for both of them if Ed had a translator in his meetings with Gennadiy - I think they could get a lot more done more efficiently, and with a lot less frustration and exhaustion.

Ed is soooooo frustrated right now. They still haven't arranged a follow-up meeting with the police after the "big" meeting over 2 weeks ago. Any momentum they may have had is quickly being dissipated. And we all know the power of INERTIA - it gets harder and harder to make any headway as each day goes by. It would be so sad if Ed leaves here without having accomplished anything concrete - he has such hopes and dreams for this project, but he is stymied at every turn. For example, he told me that today they called over to one of the police stations to find out when they are going to post the sign with the PD telephone number. Oh, the policeman said, it's already posted - it's on the wall and I'm looking at it right now. So Gennadiy said, well how come the person who is standing right next to you, who happens to be one of our lawyers, can't see it!!!!!!!! This is routine. And don't even get me started on the administrative details - they still have no letterhead, no separate fax line, no business cards, etc. I'll bet anything that they don't have paper clips or staplers either! Things should pick up soon though - on September 1 all of Europe, including Ukraine, comes back to life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home