Monday, August 21, 2006

Calling Cards In Ukraianian

Later on Monday August 21.

I was just finishing up the Blog, when Ed called to say that he was on his way home from the office and that he wanted to take me to lunch. He had to go to the printer and there were several restaurants nearby that we had wanted to try. He arrived shortly after he called - with flowers in hand - I LOVE that! Then we walked north up Pushkinskaya to the Pushkinskaya Metro station, which is about a half mile from the apartment, and then west on the cross street to a cafe that had been mentioned in one of the guide books as quite good - Napoleon. We went in, and they had an English menu, but it was very warm inside and I told the waitress "neh sehodiniy - dujeh zhorka" which I hope means "not today - very hot." She indicated that there was a cooler room in the back and it was a non-smoking room (probably the first and only one in Kharkiv)!! So we sat back there and ordered Okrakash (a cold soup sort of like cold Borscht but without the beets, if that makes any sense at all), crepes with caviar, a smoked chicken and pineapple salad, and fresh squeezed orange juice for Ed. I had a capuccino because they had Illy coffee and I always order a capuccino when there's Illy coffee to be had. While we ate Ed told me about the first case that has been sent to the PD office by the police. The defendant is a deaf mute and has been picked up for possession of some sort of dangerous weapon - either a bomb or a gun!!! I asked Ed which lawyer had been put on the case, and he told me that it was Oleg, the one who had been an investigator before becoming a defense lawyer. Of course the assignment of this case to the office by the police led to an interesting discussion among the PD lawyers about how to maintain the confidentiality between the interpreter (the suspect is after all a deaf mute and none of the lawyers are fluent in Ukrainian sign language) and the lawyer and client. Ed told me that the office had gotten many other calls as well that morning, probably because of the TV coverage the night before. Apparently the TV report gave the impression that this is a legal aid office, and not just a criminal defense office, so people were calling about automobile accidents, merchants who had cheated them, landlords who had cheated them, etc. I wonder who handled these calls since they still don't have a paralegal or a Director's Assistant.

After lunch Ed and I went to the printer (where Ed had been with Gennady the week before to get business cards for the PD Office) to order "calling cards" for myself (they'll be very simple with just my name in the center, and my Ukrainian cell phone number and my email address on the bottom - in English on one side and in Ukrainian on the other) and the PD Office letterhead (why didn't they order both the letterhead and business cards at the same time, I wondered - Ed wondered the same thing and chalked it up to the Ukrainian way - I'm not so sure, it just may be Gennady's way, but who knows). Ed (with the aid of my talent at pantomime and my expertise in "havorio po oohKryinski" - speaking Ukrainian) told him to print separate cards for each lawyer (everything was already written in both Ukrainian and English) and to use a logo that looked kind of like my Kharkiv pin, but without the Kharkiv symbol - instead of the symbol they had a diagonal banner with the initials of the office. After we left, Ed showed me a different logo that he had seen the last time he was at the printer with Gennady (another guy had this logo for something) that he liked better. I liked it better too - it looked sort of like a court building, with the initials of the office inside the building. We went back to see if the printer would do a proof of each logo (the cards will be in Ukrainian on one side and English on the other, like mine). Actually, I ending up asking the printer to do this because Ed got a phone call from Roman at the Renaissance Foundation, and since I was helping him communicate with the printer anyway, I just carried on without him. First I had to ask him if it was okay to use the courthouse logo since another of his customers was already using it. "Harishow, harishow" - it's okay, okay. Then I managed to explain what Ed wanted (there were at least 4 people working on trying to understand me). After Ed and I got home, we watched the BBC World News and saw the prosecutor from the Office of the Crown Prosecution in London announcing the arrest of more suspects in the planned airline bombings (in which, unbelievably, the crown prosecutor asked the press to please be careful and restrained in their coverage as the suspects were entitled to be presumed innocent and to due process of law!!! When's the last time we heard a prosecutor in the U.S., or the Attorney General, say that????) Behind the prosecutor was the logo for the Office of the Crown Prosecution - it's perfect. A very simple and elegant line drawing of a representation of the scales of justice in white against a dark blue background. I immediately googled the Crown Prosecution Office and got a picture of the logo, which I printed out. Maybe they'll end up using it here for the Kharkiv PD Office, with the Ukrainian colors, of course (yellow and a beautiful blue that leans towards turquoise - so the background will be Ukrainian blue and the line drawing will be in yellow, with the initials of the office in blue at the bottom - P D O in English and П Д О in Ukrainian). The proofs will be ready August 28, as will mine.

So, no War and Peace this afternoon, and no scrabble either (none of my scrabble partners made any moves). By the time we got home, it was time to feed Belle, walk her, and listen to Morning Edition, and (yuck) W's press conference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home