Sunday, June 18, 2006

Moving Day

Monday, June 12

Moving day is here!!! Ed was anxious to get this over with so that he could concentrate on preparing for the Tuesday and Wednesday orientation for the new PD lawyers. So, after our morning ritual of tea and toast in the hotel café, we left Belle in the room, got two taxis, and took everything over to the new apartment off Pushkinskaya and Poet's Square. By 9:30 we were installed, and by 10:30 I had finished unpacking all our bags while Ed worked on the project.

Alona came over with Boris and the “papers” for us to sign. Ed went into the bedroom and continued to work while I filled in the documents and signed everything, paid our two months’ rent in advance in U.S. cash dollars, learned that we would have to pay electricity ($8 per month), additional for the DSL line ($4 per month), and $5 for each visit by the maid in excess of two times a month. I had Alona write down the exact address of the apartment in Ukrainian on two pieces of paper – one for me and one for Ed – so that we can carry it with us always and show it to someone for directions if we get lost, or use it if we take a taxi to the apartment. I asked if it would be okay if we removed all the fake flowers and pictures on the walls (there are three – 2 of cats and, over the bed, an over the top print of a couple embracing), and if they would take all the sheets (more like seersucker than cotton) and towels (very stiff and thin) away as there is very little space here (i.e. NONE) for storage. No problem they said – and with one swift gesture, the chair cushion of the sofa bed was lifted up, revealing an empty compartment where we stuffed everything. One hanging light fixture is draped with fake ivy and that can’t be removed, but I’m sure I can live with it. Boris promised that he would come by the next day with the agency fee receipt which I need to provide to OSJI, some small wastebaskets (there are none here), and the appropriate people to begin the process of installing the air conditioner and the DSL high speed internet access. Alona told me that this was her 22nd birthday, and that tomorrow is her graduation from the University, so she wouldn’t be able to show me markets, dry cleaners and the like this afternoon or tomorrow morning, but that on Tuesday afternoon she would be available to help me if I couldn’t find everything myself on Monday.

0 Comments:

<< Home