Monday, May 08, 2006

The Adventure Is Delayed

We learned a few days ago that Ed will have to argue a death penalty habeas case in the 9th Circuit in Pasadena on June 2, so our departure has been pushed back to June 3. Our tenants on Sherman Canal have been so wonderful about everything, and especially about this. They have agreed to change the start of the lease to June 3. I still can't believe how lucky we are to have found them!

Needless to say, I've been busy undoing everything I've done, and redoing it all with a different start or end date. But things seem to be under control now, and I think the extra time here will be welcome and relieve some of the pressure on packing, etc. The packers will come on May 26 and pack up everything that is being shipped to the Ukraine or put in storage (almost everything except our clothes and the contents of our desks, night tables and medicine cabinets is staying here with the tenants). On the morning of June 3 they will move everything out and we will leave - our plane leaves at 4 p.m. that day. Deciding what to take has been very difficult - I've been trying to operate on the "less is more" principal, but it's hard to leave some things behind (like one's favorite tea cup - it's not going), and impossible not to take other, incredibly heavy and bulky, items (like Belle's special Rx dog food).

I've set up the computer so that I can type in Ukrainian now and I've found a Ukrainian Keyboard template so that I know where the Cyrillic keys are on my English keyboard. So here are our names in Ukrainian:

Susan Spivak Сусан Співак
Edward Rucker Едвард Рукер
Belle Белле

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home